Puff Balls

Puff Balls

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Hair Tips!

Since the twist-out is now my go to style, I thought I'd share a few tips on how I keep my style fresh:

1) properly detangle your hair. I start with a wide toothed comb. I then detangle. Once I'm ready to begin twisting, I section with the end of a rat tail comb and then comb out each of the smaller sections. I find that this smooths my hair (especially the ends) and leads to a smoother style.

2) if your hair texture is like mine, an oil-based rather than a water or gel-based product may work best to twist your hair. I've tried gels and custards...nothing works as well as a creamy oil (as I've said before I use Doris New York products almost exclusively on my hair). For me, I have found that gels may do a better job of "freezing" the curl in place. Big ups for curl definition. HOWEVER, my hair feels like hay and I can't stand that. When I use the oil-based product my hair feels like satin and moisture is sealed in plus my scalp is conditioned. Of course, everyone has to go through trial and error but this is my experience.

3) tie your hair up at night. I use a satin sleep bonnet.

4) oil your scalp...I know some people disagree with this. For me, I find a light oil on my scalp keeps my hair and scalp happy.

5) you DON'T have to redo your entire head when your hair starts to lose curl definition. Instead, retwist the frizzy parts. This has saved me MUCH time.

6) tie up your hair when you work out (I refuse to wear the satin bonnet in public but I have a scarf that I wear)


That's all I can think of for now. Please share your tips as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment