Puff Balls

Puff Balls

Friday, June 1, 2012

New York Times Video on Natural Hair: Ms. Zina Saro-Wiwa Knocks it Out of the Park

Hello everyone,

You know that natural hair is not a fad when the NY Times dedicates an op-doc video to the topic:  NY Times video on natural hair.  Ms. Zina  Saro-Wiwa (read more about her here) does a fabulous job narrating the video (she is also director, producer and camera).  Plus, she has a big chop in the video! I also love how Ms. Saro-Wiwa deals with the media's near universal depiction of Black women wearing wigs and weaves.  I am sentimental and I find myself in tears as I watch the video.  I am so proud to be part of this return to our authentic selves.

What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. I LOVED this video. Ms. Zina Saro-Wiwa really painted a clear picture for what "going natural" really means and how hair in the Black community is more than just hair - to me it is a political movement, emotional journey, and a personal statement about a woman's life.

    I'm Jess Watson, co-founder of Techturized. A haircare technology company in Atlanta, GA currently in an accelerator program. We are fascinated with the connection between a woman's life and her hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess,

    Well congratulations on your company Techturized. As a professor at Babson College (the #1 entrepreneurship program) I'm aware of the honor of being in an accelerator program. Go ladies!!!!! At some point, I'd love to interview you and your team for my soon-to-launch website, hairasidentity.com. It sounds like our interests overlap. Stay tuned and thanks so much for reading my blog. :)

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina! It was so great meeting you guys this weekend. I lost Fred's business card but I found your blog :). Have to keep reading, but looks very interesting so far. Email me-Morgan.Gottfried@gmail.com if you want to get in touch.

    Best,
    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this New York Times video! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete