Puff Balls

Puff Balls

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Enjoying and Adjusting to my TWA



As some of you may know, I am now wearing a teeny, weeny afro (TWA) after cutting off my ten-year old locs. I was so ready to do it! So, very ready. I have been having fun relearning how to work with my natural hair texture. Hmm, I wash my hair with Beautiful Curls shampoo, use some leave-in-conditioner and seal in moisture with coconut oil. The next day, I spritz my hair with water, apply Kinky Curly leave in conditioner and finish with the line’s curling custard. I try Olive EcoStyler Gel the next day when I double strand twist my bangs (longer than the rest of my hair) and use Carol’s Daughter Loc butter to untwist my hair. I can already tell that I am a bit of a product junkie and I had to stop myself from stocking up on new products when I went to Whole Foods today.

I also have to admit that I am adjusting my aesthetics. What do I mean? I mean that I am in the process of redefining what beautiful means to me. Honestly, once I looked at the back of my head, I described it as “a pack of naps”. Yes, that is TOTALLY politically incorrect. I had what I call an ugly moment where I felt like a boy, a nappy-headed boy at that. I know that there are many people who detest the word “nappy” but I’m only sharing the true thoughts that flew like ticker tape across my mind. What did I do? I looked myself in the mirror, told myself “I’m beautiful”, put on a cute red top, some red lipstick and went on about my business.

No, the red top and red lipstick don’t make me beautiful. I believe that I’m beautiful on the inside and the outside. However, if makeup and nice clothing make me feel better about my new look I’m going to allow myself that pleasure.

On a positive note, when I went for a family bike ride today, I slipped on my helmet and didn’t even blink when we were caught in a torrential downpour. My hair is not a worry. Hallelujah. I can also now wear baseball caps and cute hats (something I haven't done in years because my locs were so thick that I couldn't don cute chapeaus). But, the biggest thing I look forward to? SWIMMING! I bought a new bathing suit and I plan to start swimming soon. Looking forward to that adventure! In a nutshell, I’m enjoying and adjusting to my hair all at the same time. J

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I tried to look up what that means but I couldn't find it. What did you say? Tina

    ReplyDelete