Puff Balls

Puff Balls

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Should: A Dirty Word?


Should. A word with only six letters but such far-reaching implications. Lately, I've been asking myself why I do the things that I do. Far too often, my answer is "because I should". Not "because I want to", "because I like this", "because it's a good thing to do" but "because I should". Hmm. For some reason, that's just not getting it for me anymore.

How is this related to hair? Well, I think that many people sport their current hairstyles because it's what they think they should do to please their Momma, Daddy, friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, bosses or some invisible "they" lurking out there in general society. I recently interviewed several college students about this very issue. The discussion revealed that they, and likely many others, spend at least an hour a day so that they (and particularly their hair) can look like they "should". Sometimes they don't want to, sometimes they don't feel like it, but yet and still, they rise earlier from their beds to ensure that they look the way that they "should".

I am not saying that "should" doesn't have a place. BUT, doesn't it feel better when you go running because you want to feel the wind in your face versus when you feel obligated to go?Think about that! Ask yourself, when was the last time that you did something because you truly enjoyed it NOT because it's what you should have done?

Isn't enough, enough? Let's say we all start spending more time doing things because we want to rather than because we should. I know I'm looking forward to release from the bondage of "should".

Image found at: http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://moniquemonicat.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/deliverance-release-from-bondage-demons.jpg?w=300&h=195&sa=X&ei=tmfhTpaFC6n00gG7qKn5BQ&ved=0CAsQ8wc4Og&usg=AFQjCNFVbCnfKpGHWm7CFKtAZbdI_h5YhQ

No comments:

Post a Comment