Puff Balls

Puff Balls

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Our Hair Connects Us


Image found at: http://www.uswc.org/Graphics/circle5.JPG


One thing that I love about blogging is that you get a chance to learn about, meet and talk to people from all over the world. I recently came across “My bald patch led to a thriving UK natural hair community” by Angel Smith (http://peoplewithvoices.com/2011/07/18/my-bald-patch-led-to-a-thriving-uk-natural-hair-community/).


Here in the United States it is easy to forget that we have many more resources at our fingertips than do others around the world. For example, Ms. Smith shared that when she experienced a bald spot after years of relaxers she found a dearth of resources in her UK home area. However, she didn’t complain, she did something about it by founding a natural hair community complete with a hair blog (http://www.thenaturallounge.com/) and hosted hair events.


Reading Ms. Smith’s article reminded me that embracing our natural selves is something that women around the world pursue. Here’s to helping each other on our quest. Plus, I'm thinking that this may be a good way for me to educate myself about difference around the world. I would love to get to know more about different hair perspectives around the world. Hmm, when I have free time (whoops, nothing will ever happen if I wait for that) I will look into this!


P.S.: I am in the process of researching resources to help us teach children about difference (e.g., interracial, appearance, etc.). I will keep you posted; please share any thoughts that you may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment