Puff Balls

Puff Balls

Monday, January 9, 2012

RV Trip: Unprepared for humidity!


Our Winter 2011/12 Family RV Trip was amazing. Our route: Boston; New York; Northern VA; Williamsburg, VA; South Carolina (Sullivan's Island- known as the African-American Ellis Island (http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/03/sullivan-s-island-was-african-american-ellis-island); Florida and back to Boston. On the trip, our family had a wonderful time reconnecting, exploring and catching up with loved ones.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was nervous about seeing my Southern family with my growing afro. My anxiety escalated when the Southern humidity hit my hair. One morning I looked in the RV bathroom mirror and gave myself an over the glasses grit (yes, I've gotten to the age where I now peer over my glasses to see things close up....ahhh, the pleasures of aging). Anyway, my once beautiful two strand twist out had become a bed of cotton (thanks to my hair care regimen it was SOFT cotton but cotton nonetheless).

Egad!!! This was only a few days before I would see my Mom, Dad, aunties and cousins and a mere few hours before our tour of Colonial Williamsburg. Well, I went to it and quickly retwisted my hair with the only hair care products I brought with me (note to self, what works in cold weather may not work in hotter weather, pack accordingly). The good thing is that I'm learning how to keep things moving even when my hair doesn't look like I'd like it. After all, I'm much more than my hair. Yet, I still went through quite a bit to ensure that my hair would look great for my family encounter...


Image found at:http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://katdish.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Cruise-America-RV-Rental.jpg&sa=X&ei=BBELT_jZLsfo0QHrgcmZBg&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFjl9W7hgMf5ijCfJOzFy11lAkGUw

1 comment: